Keep Your Home Safe During the Holidays
It’s that merry time of year when you’ll be busy shopping for gifts, baking gingerbread cookies, and looking for that Santa suit! Are you ready to decorate your home and get it all cozy for any out-of-town guests? Before you deck the halls, keep safety in mind and prevent any holiday hazards in your home, especially if you have children and pets.
Here are some must-do tips:
* Check your batteries in all smoke and CO detectors. If your detectors have been around for more than 10 years, they are past their prime. Replace them and add fresh batteries.
* Purchase a fire extinguisher and mount it centrally in your home. Know how to use it!
* Never leave a space heater unattended and, better yet, buy one that automatically shuts off.
* Have a fire escape plan for your family (and any guests). Have more than one floor or live in a condo higher up? Get one of these cool escape ladders pronto: http://www.amazon.com/b?node=3180251
* Artificial trees should be labeled “fire resistant.” It can still catch on fire but it’s more resistant to burning.
* Check to make sure a natural tree is fresh, with green needles that are hard and don’t break easily, and the trunk should have a sticky resin on the bottom. Needles should not fall off if you tap the tree on the ground. Cut two inches off the trunk and put it in water when you bring it home.
* Avoid using old-fashioned metallic trees since they can pose an electrocution danger.
* Place your tree away from fireplaces and radiators.
* Make sure your tree is securely anchored and won’t tip over, especially by small children and pets.
* Keep the stand filled with water by watering your live tree every day. Don’t forget or have someone else do it for you if you go away.
* Only use lights with the UL seal of approval and purchase them from a reputable store.
* Consider buying LED lights since they don’t produce as much heat build up and use less electrical current.
* Inspect your lights, new or old, for frayed or bare wires, broken or cracked sockets, loose plugs, and excessive kinking. Throw out damaged sets and replace burned-out bulbs.
* When replacing bulbs, unplug the light string and be sure to match voltage and wattage to the original bulb.
* Plug lights into a surge protector rather than straight into an electrical socket to avoid any electrical hazards if the lights short out or if there’s a power surge.
* To prevent overheating, plug in no more than one extension cord per socket and string no more than three sets of traditional lights together.
* When using an extension cord, make sure it is rated for its intended use. Make sure it’s safely out of the way of any traffic flow.
* Never use lights on metallic trees.
* Make sure outdoor lights have been certified for outdoor use.
* Outdoor lights should be plugged into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to protect against electric shock. This device cuts off the current if a leak is detected; without one, a damaged wire can transfer electricity into water or metal, making it “live” and dangerous.
* Turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house.
* Consider buying a timer for Christmas lights that automatically turns them off at set times.
* Keep burning candles in sight, or use battery-operated or solar-powered ones.
* Use non-combustible, flame-resistant materials for your decorations.
* Hang all glass and breakable ornaments near the top or middle of the tree to avoid children and pets grabbing them.
* Instead of hooks consider using ribbon to tie ornaments on branches.
* Make sure your tinsel doesn’t contain lead, which can be poisonous if swallowed.
* In homes with small children or pets, avoid sharp or breakable decorations, those with small removable parts that could be swallowed, and any trimmings that resemble candy or food that might be eaten.
* When hanging decorations high up on trees or stringing lights on your home, make sure you use the correct ladder height and you’ve got someone to help you hold the ladder.
* Place a screen around your fireplace to prevent sparks from shooting across the room.
* Don’t burn wrapping paper since it can ignite suddenly, resulting in a flash fire.
* Remove any flammable objects nearby, such as wrapping paper, decorations, etc.
*Mistletoe, poinsettias and holly plants are poisonous to pets and children if ingested. Place them up high or outside.
* Lock up any medications and cleaners to keep children visitors safe.
* Make sure area rugs have a non-skid backing to avoid slips; and keep walkways clutter free to prevent trips, especially by elderly visitors.
* Use a hall nightlight to help overnight guests find their way to the bathroom.
* To prevent slips and falls, clear outside walkways and doorsteps and prevent ice formation; stock up on rock salt or gravel and use generously. (Get pet friendly versions!)
*If you plan to go away for a few days – put lights on timers; have a friendly neighbor shovel the walk if it snows, pick up your mail, and put out the trash so your home looks lived in; move gifts away from front windows where they can be easily seen; and always lock up.
* If you buy large expensive gifts, such as a big screen TV, cut up the boxes and put in trash bags before putting out on the street for trash pickup. You don’t need to let others know what goodies you got!
Now crank up some festive tunes and start decorating…Happy Holidays!!!